Tax Deductions for Truck Drivers


  • Overtime meal expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Car expenses
  • Uniforms and protective clothing
  • Equipment and tools
  • Other work-related expenses
  • General Expenses


If you receive a meal allowance from your employer that is based on an industrial legislation, award, or agreement and that allowance is reflected separately on your PAYG certificate, you may be able to claim the cost of meals when working overtime. Without keeping receipts, you can claim the full cost of the meal or the maximum allowed by the Australian Taxation Office. Any amounts claimed in excess of that must be accompanied by receipts.


    If you are going to or from meetings, seminars, conferences, or training that are not being held at your regular place of employment, you may be able to claim the cost of your trip (including any parking, tolls, taxis, and public transportation).

    While driving the truck between your depot and the depot of your customer, you may also deduct the cost of parking fees, bridge tolls, and road tolls you paid (but NOT while travelling to and from work).

    If you must spend the night away from home for the reasons mentioned above, you may be able to claim a tax deduction for the cost of your lodging and any meals you ate.


      If you use your personal vehicle for work-related activities, such as travelling to conferences, meetings, or training sessions held away from your regular workplace, you may be able to deduct the cost of the vehicle. You must keep a log of your journey distance if you do intend to claim the cost of utilising your personal vehicle.


        If it bears the emblem of your workplace, you may deduct the expense of specific work attire.

        Some protective clothing items, such as overalls, gloves, goggles, masks, steel-capped boots, high visibility vests, and winter outdoor jackets, may be claimed as tax deductions. Other protective clothing items include those for sun protection, such as sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and sun-protective shirts or jackets.

        Any of the aforementioned qualified work-related or protective apparel can be claimed, together with the expense of renting, maintaining, and cleaning it.

          A truck in an open parking lot representing the concept of tax deductions for truck drivers.


          Typical tools and equipment that qualify for a tax deduction include:


          • Tools, a CB radio, a portable refrigerator, a sleeping bag, electronic organisers, laptop computers, and cell phones are examples of equipment.
          • The price of any truck maintenance, spill cleanup, repairs, or repairs (if your employer does not reimburse you for these charges).
          • Purchased items or supplies for use at work, such as safety gear, first aid materials, a backpack, or a belt bag.
          • Stationery, a work bag or briefcase, a diary, and logbooks.


          Other costs associated with work that may be deducted from income include:


          • Annual dues for unions or membership
          • The price of maintaining any permits or licences needed for your job, outside your standard driver’s licence, for trucks or machinery.
          • Magazines, books, or journals
          • Internet and phone charges (just for the fraction connected to work).


          Additionally, there are a number of general tax deductions that are open to everyone regardless of profession or occupation, such as:


          • Conference and seminar fees
          • Self-education
          • Tax agent fees
          • Donations to registered charities
          • Income Protection Insurance

          It’s important to note that to claim these deductions, you must keep accurate records of your expenses, including receipts and invoices. Additionally, you should seek advice from a qualified tax professional to ensure that you are claiming the correct deductions and meeting all the necessary requirements.

            This article is for general information only. It does not make recommendations nor does it provide advice to address your personal circumstances. To make an informed decision, always contact a registered tax professional.

            Share This