Tax Deductions for Support Workers

As a disability support worker in Australia, you may be eligible for certain tax deductions related to your work expenses. However, it’s important to consult with a qualified tax professional for specific advice tailored to your individual circumstances.

Before claiming a tax deduction, you need to meet the following conditions imposed by the ATO:

  • you must have spent the money
  • you weren’t reimbursed
  • the expense must directly relate to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove that you incurred the expense

If your expense is a mixture of personal and work, you may only claim the work-related portion of it. More importantly, you may not claim an expense if you do not have a record of it.

Here are some common tax deductions that disability support workers in Australia may be eligible for:

  • Work-related expenses: You can claim deductions for expenses directly related to your work as a disability support worker. This may include the cost of purchasing and maintaining work-related equipment, such as specialized tools, aids, or devices required for assisting individuals with disabilities.
  • Travel expenses: If you are required to travel for work purposes, such as visiting clients or attending training sessions, you may be able to claim deductions for the expenses incurred. This can include travel fares, parking fees, tolls, and accommodation costs if necessary. It’s important to keep records and receipts to support your claims.
  • Protective clothing: If you are required to wear protective clothing or uniforms specific to your role as a disability support worker, you can claim a deduction for the cost of purchasing and cleaning these items e.g. non slip shoes.
  • Union and professional association fees: If you are a member of a union or professional association related to your work as a disability support worker, the fees you pay for membership can be claimed as a deduction.
  • Training and professional development: If you undertake any training or courses such as first aid, occupational health & safety (OH&S), wound care, treatment updates to improve your skills as a disability support worker, the associated costs may be tax deductible. This can include course fees, textbooks, travel expenses, and accommodation if required.

Remember to keep accurate records and receipts for all your work-related expenses to support your claims. Also, deductions can only be claimed for expenses that you have personally paid for and are not reimbursed by your employer.

It’s important to note that to claim these deductions, you must keep accurate records of your expenses, including receipts and invoices. Additionally, you should seek advice from a qualified tax professional to ensure that you are claiming the correct deductions and meeting all the necessary requirements.

This article is general information only and does not provide advice to address your personal circumstances. To make an informed decision you should contact an appropriately qualified professional.