Tax Deductions for Office Workers


  • Overtime meal expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Car expenses
  • Uniforms and protective clothing
  • Equipment and tools
  • Other work-related expenses
  • General Expenses

As a police officer in Australia, you are entitled to certain tax deductions and allowances specific to your occupation. Here are some key tax deductions and allowances available to police officers in Australia.

Overtime meal expenses

You can claim the cost of meals when working overtime provided you have received a meal allowance from your employer which is based on an industrial law, award or agreement and that allowance is shown separately on your PAYG certificate. You can claim the actual cost of the meal or up to the Australian Taxation Office allowable limit without retaining receipts. Amounts claimed over that amount will need to be supported with receipts.

Travel expenses

You may claim the cost of travel (including any parking, tolls, taxis and public transport), if you are travelling to or from meetings, seminars, conferences, or training that is not being held at your usual place of work.

If you are required to stay away from home overnight for the purposes listed above, you may be eligible for a tax claim for the cost of accommodation and any meals consumed.

Car expenses

You may claim the cost of your personal car if it is used for work purposes, including travel to meetings, conferences or training that is not held at your usual place of work. If you do plan on claiming the cost of using your personal vehicle, you will need to keep a diary of the number of kilometres travelled.

Uniforms and protective clothing

You may claim the cost of specific employment clothing as long as it features your employer’s logo.

There are a few protective clothing items that you may claim as a tax deduction e.g., safety items such as gloves, goggles, masks, steel-capped boots, gum boots, sun protection items, winter outdoor jackets and aprons. This is only relevant if the protective items are required to be worn by your employer, due to potential dangers in your work environment (e.g., if you work at a manufacturing plant or on building sites)

You can claim the cost of renting, repairing and cleaning any of the eligible work-related or protective clothing mentioned above.

Equipment and tools

Typical equipment and tools eligible for a tax deduction include:

  • Equipment such as electronic organisers, laptop computers and mobile phones or smart phones.
  • Materials or supplies that you buy for use at work such as office stationery, diary, work bag or briefcase.

Other work-related expenses

There are a few other work-related expenses that may be claimed as tax deductions including:

  • Annual professional association membership fees
  • Books, magazines or journals
  • Home office expenses
  • Telephone and internet fees (for the work-related portion only)

General expenses

There is also a range of general tax deductions, available to all regardless of profession or occupation, including:

  • Conference and seminar fees
  • Self-education
  • Tax agent fees
  • Donations to registered charities
  • Income Protection Insurance

This article is general information only and does not provide advice to address your personal circumstances. To make an informed decision you should contact an appropriately qualified professional.