Past Client Tax Return Checklist
If you’re a past client of Bristax, we’ll need the following information:
- Annual income statement from employer(s). We can usually access this from the ATO from the 2nd week of July.
- Any change to your residential/postal address, mobile phone number, email address or bank account details since your last tax return
Where applicable, we’ll also need the following:
- Australian and foreign investment income
- If recently arrived in Australia – are you entitled to an Australian Medicare card?
- Legal or defacto spouse taxable income for the financial year and number of dependent children
- Annual private health insurance tax statement.
- A summary of investment property income and expenses. Ask us for our investment property checklist.
- A list of any known tax deductible expenses. For example:
- Clothing (logoed or protective)
- Average monthly phone and internet bill plus your estimated work use % (vs private) of each
- Study/training/courses/memberships/Union fees
- Approximate purchase date and cost of your current computer/tablet/mobile phone handset and your estimated work use %
- Approximate work kilometres travelled during the year (from workplace to workplace, not from home to work unless you are carrying bulky equipment)
- Average weekly hours spent working from home (prior to 01 March 2023)
- A record of all hours worked from home (01 March 2023 onwards)
- Donations made to registered charities
From mid-July onwards we can usually access the following information directly from the ATO, so you don’t normally need to supply it:
- Annual private health insurance tax statement
- Bank interest income earned
- Dividend income
Managed Fund/Trust annual tax statements are sometimes unavailable until August/September. If you own units in a Managed Fund/Trust, please wait until you receive the annual tax statement before contacting us for your tax return.