Information needed (new client)
If you are a new client of BrisTax, we’ll need at least the following information from you:
- Your address
- Tax file number or a copy of annual payment summary(s) from your employer(s)
- Date of birth
- Bank BSB & account number for the deposit of any tax refund
If applicable, we’ll also need you to provide the following:
- Bank interest income or other investment income over $50
- If newly arrived or departing Australia – your approximate date of arrival/ estimated date of departure, your country of origin, and whether you are entitled to an Australian Medicare card.
- Legal or defacto spouse name, date of birth, approximate taxable income for the financial year, number of dependant children
- Your annual private health insurance tax statement
- A list of any known expenses incurred for work. You don’t need to provide all your receipts, a list of costs is usually sufficient. For example:
- Your clothing (that has a logo, is protective or otherwise not ordinary)
- Average monthly phone and internet bill plus your estimated work use % (vs private) of each
- Approximate purchase date and cost of your current computer and your estimated work use %
- Approximate work kilometres travelled during the year (from workplace to workplace, not from home to work unless you are carrying bulky equipment)
Average weekly hours spent working from home
- Donations made to registered charities
- Fee paid to your previous tax agent for your tax return preparation.
From mid July/August onwards in the financial year (the financial year runs from 1st July to 30th June), we can usually access the following information directly from the ATO, so you don’t need to supply it:
- A copy of your annual payment summary(s) from your employer(s)
- Your total bank interest income earned
- Your dividend income from shares
- Your annual private health insurance tax statement.